As the Catering Manager you will be responsible for all aspects of managing the catering facilities at the College ensuring customer’s expectations of food, beverage and customer services are met in an effective and efficient manner.
You will be ambitious, commercially aware and have the ability to influence the day to day business. Leading by example and setting high standards, you will enhance sales and provide our customers with a great service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensuring the effective planning, preparation and delivery of food & beverage services for a wide variety of functions to a consistently high standard;
• Monitoring standards of service (including those of external suppliers), identifying/implementing areas for improvement, and encouraging new ideas and approaches;
• Coordinating all aspects of hospitality service provision with the Team;
• Ensuring customer expectations are exceeded, needs are met and that a consistently high standard of support for the event host is provided throughout College events;
• Monitor the use of equipment, accommodation and other resources in order to maximise profitability;
• Contribute directly to the development of new business services and solutions, and the development of new market opportunities.
• Implement “best practice” models for all staff;
• Introduce a method of setting quality targets, which can then be measured, monitored and all non-conformities addressed;
• Agree service levels and ensure they are effectively communicated to key staff who need to understand and achieve them. Monitor the service levels and implement improvement measures where necessary;
• Contribute to the development of the food production operations including collaborating with the chef managers and supervisors on each site in relation to the development of innovative menus, anticipating market trends and understanding the need to continuously refresh and renew the food offer;
• Liaise directly with key stakeholder groups for the purposes of obtaining feedback, reviewing and promoting the existing and new services;
• Ensure that the operations are always in touch with customers, providing a two-way communication through varied methods, including a Customer Feedback System, anticipating and meeting requirements;
• Managing safety and security of the catering operations;
• Attending management and operational team meetings.
Human Resources Management
• Participate in the recruiting to staff to established posts;
• Overall responsibility for the effective induction of all new catering staff;
• Overall responsibility for ensuring that all catering staff are motivated, understand what is expected of them and are trained to successfully achieve their current role with further development provided for those wishing to progress;
• Hold regular team briefings. Encourage ideas, ensuring all staff are respected and feel involved;
• Provide a high-quality management and, where necessary, actively manage poor performance by firstly identifying it then taking effective measures for improvement;
• The management of disciplinary & performance issues, conducting annual staff reviews, highlighting training needs for food & beverage staff.
• Be responsible for stock purchasing and sales;
• Responsible for profit and loss of the catering operations communicating monthly unit financial reports to the managers;
• Examine all costs and provide methods for improvement, both strategically and tactically e.g. staffing costs reduced by work force planning and flexible working
• Ensuring cash & card management and other security procedures/risk control measures are adhered to
• To manage, monitor and control the expenditure of a dedicated cost centre budget, effectively and efficiently within College guidelines;
• Control other costs including food, drink, disposable supplies, cleaning, catering maintenance, uniforms, light equipment purchases, wastage, staffing, sickness and absences, etc
• Contribute to the annual budget plans, adhere to and, where possible, exceed financial and other qualitative targets
• Undertake health and safety duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post
• Ensure all staff adhere to all policies and procedures, especially those relating to health, safety and food hygiene
• Maintain the five stars on the doors across both sites
• To carry out such other duties consistent with the professional status of this post at the direction of your line manager or the faculty director.
• Liaise with the Curriculum manager in Hospitality to provide assessment and work placement opportunities for students in the School of Hospitality
• To keep up to date with legislation in the Food sector
- You must have NVQ Level 3 in food preparation & cookery or hospitality management
- Qualified to graduate level (or equivalent professional qualification
- Level 2 Numeracy and Literacy skills
- Evidence of CPD
- D32/33 or A1 desirable
- PTTLS qualification desirable
Ideally you will have a DBS on line or within 12 months, otherwise you will need to take one out upon offer of employment.
Please email current CV to Suzanne@maze8.co.uk
To apply for this job please complete the following form: