Administrative Assistant (Student Services)
South West London
36 hours per week for 40 weeks per year
£18,045 – £20,356 per annum inclusive of London Allowance
The Student Services Division supports students at each stage of their journey from pre-entry to post exit. The Division has a student orientated culture and puts students’ needs at the heart of everything it does.
The Student Support Assistant will provide responsive information and holistic, flexible support in the Student Support Centre, student communal areas and at other sites where appropriate. The post holder will act as a key triage point of referral in the Centre to ensure students are supported and signposted in a timely and appropriate manner. You will work in close liaison with Student Engagement Advisers, the Service Head, students, staff and external partners to support vulnerable students in achieving their full potential. The Student Support Service delivers a range of enrichment and tutorial activities as part of study programmes. The post holder will be required to support the team in the co-ordination and delivery of this work in addition to the provision of Support Centre services.
Main Purposes and Responsibilities
- Be the first point of contact for students, staff and external stakeholders in the Support Centre and provide accurate, responsive information and support to students accessing the Centre, signposting to external agencies or scheduling appointments within the department as required
- Ensure Student Support Centre information and resources are current and well stocked and displayed in a way that is appealing and easily accessible to all stakeholders, to include paper and online resource updates i.e. Moodle, website, intranet, plasma, noticeboards
- Provide information on the College Bursary funds and support students in completing their application, ensuring all forms are logged and sent to the central payments team
- Ensure all College meal, kit, trip, work experience and equipment requests/loans are processed, logged and allocated appropriately in liaison with staff from the canteen, curriculum and central payments teams
- To be the key contact for Childcare applications, Care To Learn and TFL providing information, authorisations and approvals of student oyster applications as per requests
- Assess student eligibility for Bursary against agreed criteria and assist in the processing of Bursary applications in liaison with central payments team during peak times
- To ensure the smooth running of the service offices, to include organising filing systems (electronic & paper), ordering equipment/activity supplies, establishing basic inventory systems and organising maintenance in liaison with IT/Site Services.
- Process and maintain all service cash/emergency fund requests, credit card (GPC) logs, purchase orders and journal transfers as required in liaison with finance and external suppliers.
- Maintain, collate and compile accurate records of information for reports relating to learners and provide data in order to monitor trends in student progress, achievement and outcomes
- Support and assist with all service marketing, promotion and distribution of materials e.g. producing letters, mailshots, photocopying, posters, leaflets, bulletins etc.
- Receive and respond to all general service drop-in, telephone or email enquiries, signposting internally and externally effectively as required, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with staff.
- Support the service in the planning and delivery of enrichment events, students’ union or any other Service activity as required including scheduling, organisation of bookings, venues, equipment and hospitality.
- Be a proactive ambassador for the Support Service, promoting and raising awareness of financial support and all other aspects of the service that students are eligible for to Tutors and other relevant stakeholders.
The ideal candidate should have:
- A proficient applied understanding of using a variety of IT packages and a working knowledge of MS Office and related applications in particular Excel /databases
- Experience in spreadsheet development and management
- Understanding and practical experience of customer service and working with members of the public from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Experience of handling sensitive/confidential documentation and issues shared with professionalism, tact and diplomacy in line with College safeguarding and data protection policy
- Experience of successfully communicating with a wide range of students/service users on a daily basis who have a variety of support needs
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- High standard of English language, as well as good written and verbal communication skills
An up to date DBS on the update service or with maze8 is essential for this role
To apply for this job please complete the following form: