Qualified Youth Worker
FTC / Mat cover (12 months)
25 hours per week (negotiable)
£17-£18 p/hr Umbrella
Our client, a specialist young people’s service for 12 to 19 year-olds in Leighton Buzzard and surrounding areas, is looking for a qualified Youth Worker to provide maternity cover for 12 months.
The centre provides a safe drop in social space for young people and also offers them free advice and Information on a variety of topics, as well as the opportunity to meet new people, receive 1:1 support, volunteer in their community and take part in fun holiday activities.
- Plan, develop, deliver, lead and maintain a range of good quality youth work programmes for young people whilst keeping to an agreed budget. This should include, although not exclusively
- Ensuring that young people who are disaffected and disadvantaged are engaged and their needs are identified, and the programme reflects targeting of those needs.
- The delivery of a safe, responsive, challenging and quality youth work programme based on identified issues, local and national initiatives along with areas that impact on young people’s lives. This will include promoting and creating opportunities for accredited learning, positive activities, cultural diversity, active citizenship and health and wellbeing.
- Ensure that youth work programs are delivered in a planned, systematic and co-ordinated approach; this should include developing an appropriate and adequate planning culture within the centre/area as well as contribution to Town Council Strategic Objectives. Ensure the promotion and publicity of the activities and programmes to the wider community as well as to the regular users of the centre.
- Develop and take responsibility for specific youth projects, as agreed, and continuing activities aimed at fostering the personal and social development of young people, through active participation.
- Liaise and work collaboratively with a range of agencies including the Town Council, Voluntary Sector, Schools, Police and Health Authority to ensure a holistic approach of the centres delivery to young people and further promotion of the involvement of other agencies
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the centre in conjunction with the Centre Manager or their Line Manager in their absence and to build, promote, develop and maintain contact with young people and Volunteers.
- To take responsibility for the Health & Safety and Safeguarding of young people for whom the service is provided; for the safeguarding of premises, furnishings, and equipment used, and for the collection and recording of monies received in accordance with guidelines and instructions. Give due care to the protection of young people from harm in line with Child Protection Policies and guidelines.
- To be responsible for maintaining statistical records/data, stock keeping, ordering of equipment and any other resources identified by the Centre Manager. Maintain timely and accurate confidential records, preparing regular reports and undertake the administrative tasks required to ensure the smooth functioning and management of the centre. Offer support, information, advice, IT assistance and advocacy to clients, colleagues or groups, as required.
- JNC youth work qualification or NVQ Level 4 equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of supporting young people who are disaffected, underachieving and or have social/emotional barriers to learning
- Experience of working in a youth work setting (voluntary or statutory) with young people aged 12 – 21yrs
- Demonstrable knowledge of H&S including Safeguarding, Child Protection with application to both the young people and the staff
- Strong experience of engaging young people to build positive relationships – 1:1 and through group work
You will need a DBS within 12 months to apply
To apply for this job please complete the following form: