Mental health first aid training courses
maze8, in partnership with Northern Powerhouse Consulting, are now providing mental health first aid (MHFA) training, an internationally recognised 2 day training course designed to teach staff and managers how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
What is the impact of mental illness in the workplace?
Depression, stress and anxiety are the largest causes of sickness absence for our country’s workforce. Mental illness costs UK business around £35 billion every year.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental health first aid training courses give responsible employers an opportunity to address the key issue of ignorance about mental health in the workplace. those that choose to do so are likely to improve the workplace for staff and have a positive impact on business profitability.
Why does an employer’s duty of care include staff mental health?
Employers have a legal duty of care to ensure that employees are provided with a safe working environment and must take reasonable care to prevent personal injury (including mental or physical harm) that may arise in the workplace.
What are the business consequences of ignoring mental health in the workplace?
When left uninformed, managers and coworkers may unwittingly exhibit stigmatising behaviours which can be detrimental to a persona experiencing a mental health issue. Furthermore, by failing to respond appropriately to an employee with a mental health issue, an organisation may open itself to a claim for compensation. This could be lengthy, expensive and take precious time away from managers and staff.
What does the course cover?
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- What is depression?
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- Stigma and discrimination
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Symptoms of / risk factors for / resources for depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid to assist a suicidal crisis
- First aid for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder? / First aid / treatment and resources
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and cognitive behavioural therapy
- Personality / eating disorders
- What is psychosis? / Risk factors / Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis / warning signs
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Schizophrenia / Bipolar disorder
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
For further details about this training contact Sharon Pegg on 07739 035170 (Northern Powerhouse Consulting) or email [email protected] (maze8) or you can download our Mental Health First Aid Training Course leaflet.
Mental health recruitment
We recruit for a number of mental health positions including community outreach workers, mental health key workers, substance misuse support and supported housing specialists. Visit our vacancies page for more information.
If you’re an employer looking to fill a vacancy contact [email protected] or call 01924 498184.